Woman Waiting to Take a Photograph Q&A

1.     What is the time frame of this vignette?
I think the time frame was around the 2000’s just because of the car she drives. I think that was Eggers' reasoning to put that piece of information in the story so we can figure out what time frame this story was taken place. 

2.     What does the text imply about photography and about photographers?
I think the text is implying that photography isn’t just a simple point and shoot, it takes time and thought. The text explains what she is waiting for and what she wants her photo to be like once she’s taken it. Now about photographers I think the text is implying that anyone who wants to be a photographer and is a photographer just wants to be a famous one. The dreaming of one day being a photographer who’s work goes from place to place being displayed.

3.     What is the writer’s attitude toward the woman? What words and phrases suggest that attitude?
I think the writing is kind of short about the woman and thus making me believe that he has some type of pity or annoyance for her. The words that stand out to me that make me think this is when he explains what she does for a job other that taking photos. “..but at the moment she is temping at a company..” the writer gives the vide that “although she wants to do this, she’s stuck with this for now”. Also when the writer talks about the woman’s car shows that if it wasn’t for her parents wanting a new car after 4 years then she’d be SOL and without a car. 

4.     How does the writer’s repetition of the term “Go-Getters” function in the text?
I thought the name “Go-Getters” was a joke until I realized it was the actual name of the store. I think it was a hint hint to the woman because that is what she’s trying to do. She’s trying to be a “Go-Getter” by practicing her photography and judging the other people that walk in and out of the store as well.  

5.     How does the final sentence build on observed details?
I think the last sentence was a great way to end the story about this woman’s dreams of being a photographer. Explaining her dream of what she’d hope that the one photograph she took would become is a great way to show how passionate this woman is about being a photographer.

6.     What new idea or surprise emerges in the final sentence?
I think the final sentence show how the writer really feels about the woman he's talking about. In my opinion it shows how much she just really wants to hurry and be famous. The writer is almost mocking the woman for wanting to be a pro photographer and wanting to make a living off this one photograph she's going to take.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Illustration is Storytelling

Asterios Polyp